The Lodge that "Miss Scripps" Built
With construction of the original coast highway in 1915, Torrey Pines Park became the gateway to San Diego, and Torrey Pines Lodge the focal point, welcoming the newly mobile motoring public with a rest stop complete with food and souvenirs. Designed by noted architects Requa and Jackson and built between 1922-1923, this gracious Pueblo Revival structure was the gift of philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps to the people of San Diego. Today with its exhibits on natural history and Museum Shop, the Lodge continues to welcome visitors to Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. It embodies the legacy and generosity of Miss Scripps, who wished all could share her vision of “the scenic beauty and educational and recreational value” of Torrey Pines. Preserving this legacy, through a restoration of the Lodge, is our challenge in the 21st century.
Funding for this Wild Web Film was provided by the Torrey Pines Association
Produced, filmed and edited by Jim Karnik Films
Home | In Production | Field Journal | Exhibits
Production Services | Clients & Links | Producer Profile | Contact
Copyright 2010 Jim Karnik Films